Welcome to openpilot
openpilot is an open source driving agent.
Currently it performs the functions of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) for Hondas and Acuras. It's about on par with Tesla Autopilot at launch, and better than all other manufacturers.
The openpilot codebase has been written to be concise and enable rapid prototyping. We look forward to your contributions - improving real vehicle automation has never been easier.
To install it on the NEO:
# Requires working adb in PATH cd installation ./install.sh
Acura ILX 2016 with AcuraWatch Plus
- Limitations: Due to use of the cruise control for gas, it can only be enabled above 25 mph
Honda Civic 2016 Touring Edition
- Limitations: Due to limitations in steering firmware, steering is disabled below 18 mph
- board -- Code that runs on the USB interface board
- cereal -- The messaging spec used for all logs on the phone
- common -- Library like functionality we've developed here
- dbcs -- Files showing how to interpret data from cars
- installation -- Installation on the neo platform
- phonelibs -- Libraries used on the phone
- selfdrive -- Code needed to drive the car
- assets -- Fonts for ui
- boardd -- Daemon to talk to the board
- calibrationd -- Camera calibration server
- car -- Code that talks to the car and implements CarInterface
- common -- Shared C/C++ code for the daemons
- controls -- Python controls (PID loops etc) for the car
- logcatd -- Android logcat as a service
- loggerd -- Logger and uploader of car data
- radar -- Code that talks to the radar and implements RadarInterface
- sensord -- IMU / GPS interface code
- test/plant -- Car simulator running code through virtual maneuvers
- ui -- The UI
- visiond -- embedded vision pipeline
To understand how the services interact, see
Testing on PC
There is rudimentary infrastructure to run a basic simulation and generate a report of openpilot's behavior in different scenarios.
# Requires working docker ./run_docker_tests.sh
The results are written to
More extensive testing infrastructure and simulation environments are coming soon.
Adding Car Support
It should be relatively easy to add support for the Honda CR-V Touring. The brake message is the same. Steering has a slightly different message with a different message id. Sniff CAN while using LKAS to find it.
The Honda Accord uses different signaling for the steering and probably requires new hardware.
Adding other manufacturers besides Honda/Acura is doable but will be more of an undertaking.
User Data / chffr Account / Crash Reporting
By default openpilot creates an account and includes a client for chffr, our dashcam app. We use your data to train better models and improve openpilot for everyone.
It's open source software, so you are free to disable it if you wish.
It logs the road facing camera, CAN, GPS, IMU, magnetometer, thermal sensors, crashes, and operating system logs. It does not log the user facing camera or the microphone.
We welcome both pull requests and issues on github. See the TODO file for a list of good places to start.
Want to get paid to work on openpilot? comma.ai is hiring
openpilot is released under the MIT license.
THIS IS ALPHA QUALITY SOFTWARE FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY. THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLYING WITH LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.